Friday, September 17, 2010

Fishing Memories

Fishing brings to mind good memories.  Memories like when I caught my first trout near Lake Michigan.  I was about 6 or 7 and we were on vacation taking a drive around the lake.  We stopped at a trout farm, the kind were you catch fish and then the nearby restaurant cooks them for you.  I was so excited when I got my first fish onto shore that I let him wiggle back into the water after I got him off the hook.  Okay, so it was the second one that made it to the dinner table.  The first one got away.  He was a "practice fish".

Then there were a few times fishing with my dad and grandfather and times with my son and grandson.  And I spent many hours fishing various lakes with my father-in-law in a little 12 foot Sears fiberglass boat.  I don't know how we got all that equipment in there with us.  It wasn't so much about catching fish because truth be told we didn't catch many.  It was more about being together and building relationships.

These photos were taken this morning on Tillamook Bay.  I was working on the coast and noticed a handful of boats on the water in a light drizzle.  The scene brought back the fishing memories.

I hope you have good fishing memories with family and friends.

7 comments:

  1. I so love when pictures evoke memories...these are great (makes me think of my first fishing memories,too!) Great composition and I love the pops of color in each image. Thanks for what you wrote in my comments today. Great thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are all the more special to view knowing that they have sentimental value to the photographer...they are both composed so beautifully. I like the little splash of color on the fisherman's clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have memories, when i was little and dad would take use fishing :)

    if I can find them, I might post them !

    have a great weekend :)
    and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live on a lake in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan...I love to fish and it melts away the stress and makes you join up with nature again in a way that no other activity does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey,
    Thank you! Memories are a nice treat that can go along with photography.

    Carolyn,
    Thank you! I agree, viewing images that are sentimental to the photographer have a different value.

    Jel,
    I would like to see some of your fishing pictures! Thank you, hope you had a great weekend too.

    Joan,
    The U.P. is beautiful. It's been a while since I've been there. You're blessed to live there. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos Mike,
    They're very tranquil. Another case of very little color excepting the bright colors on the fisherman. I enjoyed you stories of fishing with family. Practice fish...lol! My family also fished, most often on the Alsea River (a fantastic motorcycle road!...the road, not the river).

    Nice memories of time spent with family are very precious. Thanks for sharing some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kari,
    Thank you! I'll bet the fishing is/was good on the Alsea.

    ReplyDelete